As a professional photographer, I have done a lot of research on posing. There are many different ideas on various types of posing and professional photographers eventually work out a set of techniques that help them achieve their style of photography. There are some universal posing tips, that can improve anybody's pose in a picture. I've taken those core ideas and complied them in a list here for you to try the next time you pick up a camera:
1. Straighten the back: Nice posture always looks better than slouching in any photo!
2. Mirroring: Show people what you want by doing it yourself and telling them to copy you. Showing people what you want almost always goes quicker then just telling them.
3. The small adjustment: Many times people over pose, then go back to no pose when they realize they went too far. I've learned to say, "Oh, too far, relax it just a little," and I usually get a nice pose with a relaxed feel.
4. Shoot about one foot above eye level and have them look up into the camera. This puts light on the whole face, stretches out the neck and tucks it under the jaw, and makes the eyes the focal point of the photo - all great things for an awesome portrait!
5. Smile!!! This one is big for me! In most pictures I have of my grandma, she is smiling! I'm so grateful, now that she is gone, that the pictures show her how I remember her...happy and smiling.
That smiling face is a great reminder of how special that bond was between my grandma and I. Someday, somebody is going to want a picture of you smiling, and they are going to love to see that smile again!
Have kids that won't sit still? Try these two quick tips:
1. Take pictures of them playing, reading or doing an art project and zoom in close to make the image more intimate.
2. Make them laugh and get a picture of the reaction (you have to be quick and ready for this!) The relaxed, joyful smile always makes for a great shot!
Use these tips whenever you takes pictures of family or friends and make all your photos better. Every picture tells a story - Erica